Wednesday, June 06, 2007

How do we report taxes for a small business owned by my husband and I?

New legislatiev changes by Congress have simplified this procedure. The following article is from the IRS website and explains these changes.

"Legislation signed last week simplifies reporting for husband and wife owned businesses.
The new law, effective for tax years beginning after Dec. 31, 2006, allows a husband and wife who file a joint return to elect to report income or losses in proportion to their interest in the business and not as a partnership.

"The husband and wife must be the sole owners of the business and both spouses must materially participate in the business to make this election.

"See page 10 of the technical explanation of the Small Business and Work Opportunity Tax Act Of 2007 for more information on the Section 8215, Family Business Tax Simplification."

If you are a small business owner and need legal advice or help in starting up, please contact us at 979-680-9993 or via our website,

No comments: