Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is there alimony in Texas?

The short answer is sort of. In Texas, it is possible to get "spousal maintenance", which is essentially like alimony. Typically, spousal maintenance is available if you have been married for more than 10 years; you lack sufficient property to provide for your minimum needs; and one of the following 3 scenarios applies to your situation:
  • you are unable to support yourself through appropriate employment because of physical or mental disability; or
  • you are the custodian of a child who requires substantial care and personal supervision because a physical or mental disability makes it necessary, taking into consideration the needs of the child, that the spouse seeking maintenance not be employed outside the home; or
  • you lack earning ability in the labor market adequate to provide support for your minimum reasonable needs.
Spousal maintenance is generally available only for a period of 3 years after the date of divorce. Spousal maintenance could be indefinitely available to persons who are unable to support themselves because of incapacitating physical or mental disability.

If you need a Texas divorce lawyer, contact Peterson Law Group.

No comments: