Friday, December 18, 2009

When can my child choose which parent to live with?

In Texas, a child who is twelve years of age or older may choose the parent he or she wants to live with, subject to the court’s approval. This must be done in writing (usually like an affidavit), and is filed with the court.

However, the court is not required to approve the child's choice of conservator. The court still must decide what is in the child's best interests considering all of the circumstances.

In our experience, the child's choice of conservator is given a lot of weight by judges.

If you need a Texas family law and child custody lawyer, contact Peterson Law Group.

No comments: