Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I change my name?

There are a couple of different ways to change your name. First, if you are getting a divorce, a section may be added to the final divorce decree requesting the name change. The court may then change the person’s name to one that was previously used by the applicant. In some instances, the court may not grant the name change, but it cannot do so simply to keep the last names of family members the same.

If a person wishes to change their name but is not currently going through a divorce, they may file a petition for their change of name in the county in which they reside. They must include in the petition:

a. Their current name and address
b. The full name they wish to be known as
c. The reason(s) they are requesting a change in name
d. Whether they have been the subject of a final felony conviction
e. Whether they are a registered sex offender
f. A legible and complete set of their fingerprints

They must also include, or provide reasonable explanations for not including, their sex, date of birth, race, driver’s license number, social security number, and their assigned FBI number (if known). It also helps to include any offenses above Class C Misdemeanor that may appear on the applicant’s record and notice of any warrants that may be out for the applicant’s arrest.

It is important to note that a change of name does not release a person from liability incurred under a previous name or effect a right a person held under a previous name.

If you need assistance changing your name, contact Peterson Law Group.

No comments: